Golden Milk Recipe
Monday is here and what better way to start it than with a cup of wholesome, warming Turmeric Latte. I bang on about this at every chance I get because it deserves all the love. 2016 has been the year of mindfully consuming as much fresh ingredients as possible and Turmeric has been one of those ingredients that I have fallen head over heels in love with.
The health benefits go skin deep with this one and that in my books in a recipe for a happy healthy everyday life.
There isn't one reason as to why Turmeric has become my holygrail ingredient essential. But the main reason was stress and acne. After having Juno, something crazy happened with my skin and it was zits galore. Which is never a nice thing is it? No one likes Acne of any kind. A lot of people advised on taking Birth Control as its supposed to balance some of the androgen hormones being produced and help with reducing breakouts and then some advised on topical creams. I knew the issue was skin deep rather than sat on the surface. I am not the kind that takes pills and am pretty averse to them unless they are absolutely necessary.
I switched to a completely plant based lifestyle and made it a point to challenge myself one using the acne with a more Ayurvedic method and that is where Turmeric comes in.
Look at that beauty. Fresh, Juicy and paid £2.50 for that lot. We are a 3 people household and that is more than sufficient for 2 weeks worth of Golden Milk. 3 weekend even if you chop + freeze the Turmeric. Where there is a Will babes.
I consumed Turmeric in just warm water, ate it raw everyday and whenever I had a fresh batch at home. Smoothies, Green Juices, Porridge and now Golden Milk.
It's got this little magical ingredient in it called Curcumin that gives it its colour as well as those insane wellbeing properties. What have you got to lose eh? It's a plant. It's ridiculous powerful and I give full credit to this babe for sorting out my daily stress too.
- Anti-Inflammatory (Acne has the worse kind of inflammation and its not fun sometimes. Dairy, sugar and processed food are major causes of acne inflammation too)
- Antiseptic (So kills any bacteria with in the body caused by anything from pollution to processed food)
- Fights flus and colds
- Boosts the Immune System
- Fights Free Radicals like Boss (Listen to your skin because we do not know what goes on inside our bodies and when an indication occurs, stop and take action otherwise you will be reacting to it; which is not the way forward)
Just a handful of benefits. Turmeric has over 600 of these man and how can we not pay attention to this healing giant that has been used for over 4000 years.
If we don't pay attention to what we consume now, when will we? It's like YOLO. So why not include more wholesome, healing ingredients and treat your body?
There is a link to this on my YouTube, so have a look but many have asked for a blog version so of course here I am to share this with you.
1 Cup Almonds (stacked overnight)
2-3 Medjool Dates
1 Fresh Turmeric , peeled and chopped finely
1/2 Ginger, peeled and chopped
2-3 Cloves Ground Cardamom
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
1 Teaspoon Nutmeg Powder or Grated Nutmeg
1 Teaspoon Black Pepper (It helps the body absorb the Curcumin present in Turmeric)
1/2 Star Anise
1.5 Cups Water
- Ground the Spices finely
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend for about 1 minute. After that pulse for 15-20 seconds depending on how powerful your blender is. I used a NutriBullet.
- Strain using a cheese cloth
- Once strained, pour into a milk pan and heat for about 1 minute on medium and stir gently.
- Serve with a pinch of any spice you prefer. I grated some fresh nutmeg over this.
Hope you guys give this one a try and love it. It will warm your soul, put a smile on your face and your body will thank you for it.